text

The rock and ice mechanics lab at Lamont-Doherty is led by PIs Christine McCarthy and Ben Holtzman. Now, more than ever, we are in the process of growing our lab and building our experimental program. Along with a team of postdocs, undergrads, grads, techs, and longtime staff engineer Ted, we are rehabilitating and revamping some of the old equipment and building and buying new rigs for exciting new experiments on both rock and ice. You can follow along with our progress here.

Friday 6 July 2012

Erector set fun

Today's big accomplishment in the lab was that I made the frame upon which the ice rig will sit. The facilities folks brought over some bars and I used the green unistrut fittings leftover from the renovation to hold it together. I never had an erector set growing up, but I imagine it was quite a bit like this...that is, incredibly fun! I still have to make sure things are level, tighten all the bolts, and affix the base plates to the dock, but it is getting pretty close. The ultimate test will be whether it can hold 300-400 lbs of rig on top of it without toppling over on me. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment